Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks



There are so many things to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day 2009. High at the top of the list for me is family.

There are four generations in the picture above. Second from the left in the back, wearing glasses, is Louise Massie. Her great granddaughter, Rowan Miller, is the barefoot little girl on the far right. Louise's daughter Becky, wearing black in the left center, is married to my nephew, Mike, in the white shirt and glasses. Mike and Becky's daughter, Jenny, is on the left, with her arm around Carlos, the little guy who is my niece Terry Cavet's son.

That's Terry, the third from the left, and that's her husband, James, holding Milagros, the little girl in blue who has her head turned away from the camera. And I'm the one in the green sweater, standing next to Nate Miller, who is holding Rowan. Rowan is my great great niece.

Four generations of us gathered today at Terry and James's house for Thanksgiving dinner. After a sumptuous meal, I can say without reservation that there's still no shortage of excellent cooks in the family.

Also joining us were Leslie Calambro and her husband, Al, who live across the street from Terry and James. Leslie, Terry and Mike have known each other since they started school. Al took this picture, while Leslie stood behind the camera trying to get the little ones to pay attention.

Terry and James and Mike and Becky have taken good care of me since my mom died by making sure that I know I have family to be with, not just for holiday dinners, but all year long. And for that and many other things, I am truly grateful this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment