Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day tripping


(Don Dale 1967 photo)

The Eifel Mountains, for me, had all the charm and scenic beauty of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. My friend Bob and I stopped at the end of this ancient bridge near Kyllburg one Saturday. We spread our lunch on the bridge railing and ate while enjoying the view of the valley below.

Lunch was simple: a few hard rolls from Bitburg's bakery, some cold cuts from the town's deli, a bag of chips from the commissary and a bottle of Mosel wine. We also had a tube -- that's right, a tube -- of mayonnaise from the German deli. It was handy, although it was like putting toothpaste on a sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. I have long wished that American groceries carried tubes of mayo and mustard. I always buy them when I'm in Europe; they are so handy for traveling. I wouldn't leave home without my tube of wasabi paste.

    ReplyDelete