Monday, February 15, 2010

Eifel Mountains travelogue



I hadn't been back in Richmond for a full 24 hours before my parents grew frustrated by looking at my slides of Germany using the small hand-held viewer I had brought home from Bitburg.

To remedy the problem, my dad bought a Kodak Carousel slide projector and a screen. Soon my parents were inviting relatives and friends to stop by the house to take a look at the places their son had been. It was a chore to set up and take down the projector and the screen, but the viewing experience was a lot more impressive.

The problem was that nobody had ever heard of Bitburg, let alone Spangdahlem. Neither town is big enough to be included on any but the most detailed map. I spent a lot of time explaining that both are in the Eifel Mountains, in western Germany, near the Luxembourg border.

But I could easily show them photographs of the Eifel Mountains region. I had taken hundreds of images while I was in the service. The video above is a sample of what that slide show looked like.

By the way, if you'd like to see what Bitburg's main street looks like right now, you can click here. It's a webcam site that shows a fresh image every 5 seconds.

3 comments:

  1. Fun video! I especially liked three shots: you at 1:15; the church seen through the davit at 1:20; and the whatever-that-is in the distance at 2:22.
    - A music credit - yay! But what was on the flip side?
    - You say you were looking at "slides" - Qu'est-ce que c'est?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shot at 2:22 is of a stag on an overlook surveying the valley below.

    Slides? They used to be ubiquitous back in the days of rotary phones and 45 rpm records. I suppose you're staking a claim that you're too young to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all. I'm staking a claim for MY slides. You know, the ones in your house somewhere . . .

    ReplyDelete