Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day 2010


(Don Dale photo)

Peaceful time on the Rappahannock River, excellent burgers and hot dogs, and good times with family marked Independence Day today for me.

I suppose it's a natural outgrowth of having spent time in uniform, but I have a special fondness for holidays like Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Veterans Day. And there's no better way to celebrate than with family.

Now that I'm back in Richmond, I can hear the music of a live rock band faintly in the distance and smell the aroma of charcoal grills emanating from somewhere in my neighborhood. There's a party going on as the day turns into evening.

Later tonight, I'll be able to stand on my front porch and watch the fireworks after the Flying Squirrels wrap up their game with the Erie SeaWolves at The Diamond. The ball field is so close that the noise will be akin to that of a battery of howitzers blasting away, and Cassie the cat will hide behind the sofa. But it'll be a good ending to a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment