Monday, November 22, 2010

The four seasons



I like living in a place with four distinct seasons.

It means that no matter what kind of weather you prefer, you'll inevitably get your wish.

Sooner or later.

It seems to me that the changing leaves have been spectacular in Richmond this fall -- richer in color than they have been in recent years. I passed this tree on Monument Avenue this morning on my way home from fitness class. If the color of its leaves were any more intense, it would be considered "showy." And we all know that Richmond doesn't do "showy."

Some people are looking forward to winter. Not me. Rest assured, I'm glad that we get the occasional foot of snow. And the city is beautiful on the sparkling sunny mornings that seem to follow ice storms. But the price that snow and ice exact is high. Trying to cope in a house without power or heat or lights on a cold January night can be, as my Grandfather Nichols used to say, rougher than a cob.

I usually cope with winter by hunkering down, laying in a supply of firewood, checking the batteries in the flashlights and radios, making sure I have kerosene for the lamps and becoming obsessed by the weather channel.

Spring is my favorite season -- or, more specifically, late spring, when the dogwoods and azaleas bloom. Spring is a season that tantalizes the senses. Spring seems to hint that we might get life right this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment