Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Milagros and me



My niece Terry provided this photo to me a few days ago. I was so involved with reading to Milagros that I'm not sure whether she or husband James took the picture. We're sitting on the lawn in front of my nephew Mike's house following a superb Easter lunch provided by his wife, Becky.

(The homemade dessert -- strawberry shortcake with lemon pudding sauce and whipped cream -- was a real diet-buster. We all cleaned our plates and then waddled outside to enjoy the sunshine.)

I think it's such a good thing that Terry and James have both read to Milagros and Carlos from the beginning. Perhaps it will encourage a life-long love of books, which is one of the greatest gifts -- with the exception of pure love -- that parents can give.

It sure worked for me. My mom read to me from the time I was born until I could read for myself. Today, I am never without at least a book and a backup book at hand. I don't have an e-reader (yet). I still savor the feel of a dead-tree book in my hands. I even like the smell of a good book.

1 comment:

  1. Very touching - hopefully when me yet-to-be born grandchild comes, i'll be able to read to him/her in two or three years. A great photo, BTW, My wife found a copy of Good Night Moon, which has a digital memory which allows her to read the book in her voice, so my daughter only need turn the pages - grandmothers voice is there when Grammy can't be.

    ReplyDelete