Thursday, March 1, 2012

Random observations



I usually don't care much for the political cartoons, rants and pithy observations my friends send me via email. But one caught my eye yesterday. It featured an image of Virginia's governor with these words: Republicans want to shrink government until it can fit in your uterus.

I am about to go to the grocery store. When my cart is full, I'll no doubt be stuck once again behind one of those women who hangs her purse from her left arm while holding her keys in her left hand and then unloads her cart using only her right hand -- all while carrying on a conversation with the cashier. It used to drive me mad. Now I just use the time to daydream.

I wish I could come up with a practical reason to buy an iPad. They're so cool. They're also so expensive. I can easily afford it, but my parsimonious gene holds me back. Aside from the cool factor, what would I do with an iPad?

I've found a tattoo artist to interview for my "What's Your Story?" radio series on the Virginia Voice. That should make for an interesting half hour. My dad got tattoos on his upper arms when he was in the Navy during World War II. When he came back home, he never again wore short-sleeve shirts in public. Attitudes sure have changed.

Speaking of "What's Your Story?" I interviewed a woman the other day whose Mexican father was instrumental in rewriting the history of the Alamo. He came across a memoir written by one of Santa Anna's lieutenants who said Davy Crockett and his Tennessee compatriots did not die fighting at the Alamo. He maintained they surrendered and were later executed. Still, Texas historians aren't eager to accept the new evidence.

What with the recent disasters on board the Carnival cruise ships Costa Concordia and Costa Allegra, Carnival's marketing people are facing a mammoth task. I cruised on a Carnival ship back in the 1970s. Crew members were already calling it "the Kmart of the Caribbean."

Today, March 1, was a gorgeous day -- a taste of spring to come. If it's true that when March comes in like a lamb, it goes out like a lion, then god help us at the end of the month.

"Casablanca" is one of my favorite movies. It's beautifully directed and well acted, and the lighting is especially lovely on the Ingrid Bergman close-ups. It was made in 1942, the year I was born. It won Best Picture at the 16th Academy Awards. I watch it at least once a year. "Here's looking at you, kid."

My second favorite political line of the season: Barack Obama and Rick Santorum are both praying for the same thing -- that Rick Santorum will be the GOP nominee.

No comments:

Post a Comment