Saturday, October 27, 2012

The other side of the mic


To celebrate the first anniversary of my "What's Your Story?" series, the folks at the Virginia Voice turned the tables on me.

They assigned another volunteer host, Patty Campbell, to interview me.

Patty stopped by my house on Northside with the station's digital recorder, and we sat in my living room while she asked me many of the same questions I ask other people on my half-hour weekly show. Just like I do, Patty asked me, in essence, who I am and how I came to be who I am.

It was interesting in the sense that I am often the interviewer but rarely the interviewee. As an interviewer, I'm confident and in control. As an interviewee, I felt much more vulnerable and a lot less in control.

But Patty, a radio veteran herself for going on 30 years, made it a pleasant experience.

You can read that previous paragraph to mean something like "I don't think I made a fool of myself."

If you have a half hour to spare, you can hear the interview by clicking here.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating interview - very easy listening, clearly you enjoyed the turnabout of role. I'd have asked where did nodelad come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Nodelad" is my name spelled backwards. I chose "nodelad" (as in http://nodelad.blogspot.com/, the URL for my blog) because "dondale" was already taken. It looks like I am not unique.

    ReplyDelete