Sunday, January 27, 2013

Time and a quirky film


Forty-two years ago, two friends and I were talking about movies. I said something that has haunted me since.

First, a little setup. One of the friends was, even then, a movie snob. Except he would never call them movies. They were films. The other was decidedly less so, although he did and still does approach movies with more reverence and attention than I give them. I think his secret is watching more closely and analytically while still losing himself in the plot.

The first friend, the snob -- and he was a condescending person in many other ways, as well -- went on to study, teach and write about film.

Me? I usually just let a movie wash over me. Unless, over the years, I find myself drawn back to it. Only then do I start to notice the hows and whys, the lighting, the acting, the direction.

For example, I have gone back again and again to movies such as "Casablanca," most anything by Hitchcock except his early British efforts, movies in which Cary Grant plays Cary Grant, "Charade," "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," "How to Steal a Million," "Gone With the Wind," "Gosford Park," "Nashville," "The Best Years of Our Lives," "To Kill a Mockingbird," "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," and "High Society."

That's not a complete list. Although it shows that my interests range wide.

But I digress.

Forty-two years ago, I told my two friends that I had seen and liked "The Sterile Cuckoo," a 1969 movie starring a then almost-unknown Liza Minnelli and directed by Alan J. Pakula (who would later direct "All the President's Men" and "Sophie's Choice").

They laughed and mocked my taste. They said my judgment was frivolous and unstudied.

Minnelli was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role for "The Sterile Cuckoo." (She lost to Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"). Critics said Minnelli's performance was commendable, but that the direction was flawed. I thought she was very young, talented, awkward, and gangly -- perfect for the part -- yet she had an un-self-conscious elegance and grace.

My opinion of the movie became a joke, and it continued over the years. I might say something at dinner or at a party, and one of those two friends would say, "But you liked 'Sterile Cuckoo'!" It always got a laugh, eventually even from me: I learned to play the non-sophisticate in their game.

Recently, one of the friends took the joke up a notch and sent me a DVD of -- you guessed it -- "The Sterile Cuckoo." I was nearly afraid to watch it. Would I still (gasp!) like it? Or this time would I look at it as a waste of time?

Eventually, I popped the DVD into the player.

Here's a slightly edited version of what I wrote later via email to the friend who sent it to me:

I think what I identified with at the time was the neediness in Minnelli's character. Always feeling like an outsider, unsure but determined to appear confident. A tendency to latch on to people. An inclination to exaggerate stories to make an impression. A lack of self-esteem. "Yeah, I know what that's like" was something I said to myself a lot on first seeing the movie.

But it held my interest 42 years later. Watching it today, I was still filled with compassion for the character and for the me that found something relevant in the movie in 1970.

It's quite a daring story for its time. Boy meets girl. Both are virgins. They have sex. In the end, he walks away. It's not a difficult plot. But remember the times and remember how young love was most often depicted in movies in those times.

Minnelli, about whom I knew little then ("Cabaret" hit the big screen two years later), demonstrated her remarkable presence and potential.

The male lead was as dull as dishwater.

Today ... well the movie is an artifact, not all that memorable but interesting as Minnelli's first major movie role. I am not at all embarrassed for having liked it a lot ... in 1970.


I'm glad that a movie that I liked long ago still holds something for me.

"The Sterile Cuckoo" has met the test of time. For me, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Minnelli has an engaging quality I have seen in few other actors in my life. I don't find her a necessarily attractive person but as an actor, she has fine presence.

    Her role in Cabaret shows some of the same attributes.

    Cabaret is, I think, maybe the perfect movie. Not the best I have ever seen but I have been analyzing it for forty years now, trying to find one frame which does not need to be there to further the plot. I have not found it yet. As for the music (and I am not a fan of 'musicals'), it happens where it should; on stage, on the radio, on a phonograph, at a beer garden. Each song adds to the whole, furthering the story, bringing on the next stage, as it were.

    I have not seen Cuckoo since 1970. I think I shall revisit it again soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Malette. Liza can't do what she used to do as well as she used to do it, but we still have her movies and some TV performances on DVD. ("Sterile Cuckoo" by the way is now available in Blu-ray.) I have an ancient VHS tape of Liza, Sammy Davis Jr., and Frank Sinatra on stage in Detroit many years ago. They were a terrific combination, and it was quite clear that Davis and Sinatra had immense respect for her singing presence and power. It was originally a PBS broadcast. I haven't been able to find it on DVD. But Liza stopped the show several times with her performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This first "friend", the snob, sounds dreadful. I so hate people who dictate what is right and good -- unless of course I am doing the dictating. I don't know "The Sterile Cuckoo"; somewhere along the line I was told it was nothing more than an overlong Salem cigarette commercial. Guess not. Maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DRATS! The Sterile Cuckoo is not available via Netflix. I'm crushed. CRUSHED I say.

    ReplyDelete