Sunday, July 14, 2013

For sale


I deliberately did not drive by my old house today.

When I went by yesterday to sign a check for a contractor, the house looked so good that I almost wanted it back.

The hardwood floors downstairs have all been refinished, there's a new floor covering in the kitchen and pantry, and the pine floors upstairs are naked and gleaming for the first time in more than three decades. There's a new range and hood in the kitchen, the walls throughout have been painted a benign beige, and the trim is now a warm white.

Outside, the curb appeal has been improved with a couple of pots of caladiums and some mulch and by ripping out some ivy. (I took the picture above a few months ago to capture the azaleas and tulips in bloom.)

It all looked fresh and new.

Now there's probably a "for sale" sign out front. The two agents who are handling the sale, Erin Barton and JoanElaine Justice, told me yesterday that there would be an open house today from 4 to 6 p.m.

So I stayed clear of my old street -- even though I was curious -- because selling a house is not for amateurs. I'll make the decisions and write the checks (and eventually deposit a big check in my own account). Now it's time to let Erin and JoanElaine do the heavy lifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment