Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Soup time



It's that time of year -- when I start to think about soups.

To be more precise, I think about soups and stews.

Is there anything more warming to the body and the soul when the weather turns colder than a bowl of hot soup or a tasty stew? Yeah, I know it's not a particularly original thought. But think about it: clichés are clichés because they're ... well ... true.

My mother was masterful at making soups and stews. She could take a turkey carcass or a ham bone and combine them with seasonal vegetables and rice or noodles and concoct something that satisfied the spirit and left me asking for a second helping. I probably sounded like a nearly starved Oliver: "Please, Mom, may I have some more?"

I had a friend in college whom I used to invite home for dinner frequently. My mom could always make room for one more around the dining-room table. But it seemed like every time Alan came for dinner, a big tureen of beef stew was on the table.

It happened so often my mom started to be embarrassed. "Donnie, does he think that all we ever eat is beef stew?"

It got to the point where she would tell me in the morning when she planned beef stew for dinner. "Don't invite Alan tonight, please. He must be sick of my beef stew."

Alan, I should say at this point, really, really loved my mom's beef stew. As did I.

Then she started to see the humor in it, and if she planned to make beef stew, she'd tell me to be sure to invite Alan for dinner. Alan saw the humor in it, too, and always accepted the invitation.

My mom's hamburger-vegetable chowder was my favorite. As far as I know, the recipe didn't come from any cookbook; she made it up. As a kid, I even asked her to make it on special occasions like my birthday. And when I got back home after my Air Force service, I asked her to write down the recipe for me.

I made my mom's hamburger-vegetable chowder this week for my friend Mike, who was coming for dinner, and served it over rice.

It's easy, simple, and oh, so delicious.

Here's how you do it. Crumble a pound of hamburger in a frying pan with a little garlic. When the hamburger turns brown, dump in a can of undiluted Campbell's cream of tomato soup. Add a handful of shredded carrots and a little chopped celery if you have it. Drain a small can of shoepeg corn and add it to the mix, along with a teaspoon of sugar, a couple of tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and some salt and pepper.

Stir it all together well.

Simmer it covered for about 15 or 20 minutes. Serve it over rice or noodles or mashed potatoes. If you're feeling fancy, sprinkle some grated cheddar on it.

I can now add my friend Mike to the list of those who have raved over the years about my mom's hamburger-vegetable chowder. He had two big helpings, and then all but licked the plate clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment