Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011



There were four generations gathered around the Thanksgiving table Thursday evening, the youngest of whom was Lucy, my nephew Mike's almost-two-year-old granddaughter. As Lucy and her sister, Rowan, and their mom and dad prepared to say their goodbyes, Lucy -- who is my great-great-niece -- struggled, successfully I might add, to put on her shoes.

For the first time this year, I was the oldest at the table, which gave me pause for thought: The never-ending cycle continues.

Four generations. Imagine that!

My nephew's wife, Becky, prepared a sumptuous and traditional holiday repast (she's a great cook) with the assistance of my niece Terry.

Becky, bless her heart, sent me home with a bag and a box full of delicious leftovers -- turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, yeast rolls, gravy and homemade pie. All I have to do tonight for dinner is open a can of cranberry sauce. (I would have finished off the leftovers last night, but Mike and Becky and I went to a Chinese hot-pot restaurant for a break from turkey and leftovers.)

But most important of all, I left Thursday night with memories of another delightful Thanksgiving dinner with the family. And for that, I am most thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment