Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ghost kitty



So who's the ghost kitty here?

Is it Cassie, reflected in the glass while she sits inside "her" house contemplating the significance of this neighborhood floozy-cat sprawled on the doormat?

Or is it the faded-gray calico cat on the doormat?

(I have never before seen a calico with what is known in cat-fancier circles as a diluted gray or diluted blue coat. I had to look it up.)

The outdoor calico -- I call her that to distinguish her from Cassie, who is my indoor calico -- appeared in the neighborhood a couple of months ago. At first I thought she was a stray, but I'm beginning to think that's not the case. I rarely see her at night or on the weekends, so I suspect she has a house to go to when her people are at home.

She's friendly enough, although standoffish. If I speak quietly to her when I find her on my front porch, she'll slowly approach me and allow me to pet her. But not for long.

I think she's the real ghost kitty, because she seems to be able to disappear at will.

She's really quite a beautiful cat, with the requisite copper and white fur mixed in with the gray in her coat. If her gray fur were black and she didn't have a full white bib and a couple of white paws, she'd be a classic tortoise-shell.

She seems to spend her days making the rounds of the other front porches in the neighborhood. Although I realize there's no exclusivity involved, I'm delighted that she considers my porch to be cat-friendly.

Cassie? Well she's not so accepting. She frequently hisses her disapproval. The charming visitor, however, simply ignores Cassie.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you put "her" in quotes. Surely it is Cassie's house. Maybe even more than yours. After all, they say "dogs have owners; cats have staff." Makes you the butler I guess. (GREAT foto by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry, but Walter's comment about "cats have staff" topped it all.

    ReplyDelete