Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hat trick


Home is where you hang your hat.

So the first of my worldly stuff that I took into the new apartment today was one of my hats. It's now hanging in the big closet in what will be my bedroom.

The process of moving continues, and the pace is picking up.

Tomorrow, somebody with far more taste than I'll ever have is taking a look at the new space and will offer suggestions on furniture placement.

This is a good thing, because I'm not as visually literate as you might think I'd be. If you know that I worked at an art museum for three decades, you'd think I might have at least metabolized something about the visual world. Not true. I'm in my comfort zone with words more so than with images -- ergo Cogito.

This is not to say I am devoid of ideas for this new place where I will be hanging more hats in days to come. But a small voice keeps whispering in my ear: Your design sense is pedestrian. So, I'm looking forward to expert suggestions.

I spent about a half hour in the apartment today, checking on little things and getting comfortable with the layout. I determined that both front door keys worked, the mailbox key works, and -- yes -- there really is as much closet space as I remembered, probably more than I have in my two-story house.

And one more thing I checked: The windowsills are wide enough for Cassie to sit on.

She's more visual than I am. She'll relish the view from the 9th floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment