Thursday, June 20, 2013

Not yet the end



Last night was the first I spent here in my new apartment.

I slept well.

But the big adventure is not over.

Not by a long shot.

The picture is of the corner of the living room that looks the best tonight.

The art, which you can see stacked under the window, will be hung Monday afternoon. I'll have some expert help with that. It'll make a big difference in the way the place looks.

But there will still be a big empty space in the middle of the dining room. I have yet to buy a table; the table I used to have was too big for the space. Maybe I can go shopping next week. Right now, the "look" is spare. Or perhaps I should call it Minimalist.

The packers, movers and unpackers did a great job. They took photographs and kept records of where every item -- large or small -- was and ought to be. At one point I counted six people from the moving company at work in the apartment. They even brought the remote control to the alarm system at the old house and put it on the exact table in the precise spot here in my new home. I took it back to the old house today.

As they were leaving, the guys that handle the furniture turned around and came back when I decided I wanted a chest of drawers moved to a different spot. And this was at the end of a l-o-n-g day.

I'm finding everything I need. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes. It took me a while last night to find the bag of cat food. But once I stopped and thought about where it ought to be, I found it -- in the closet closest to Cassie's food bowl.

Speaking of Cassie, she's been busily exploring, apparently in 20 minute bursts. Then she'll settle down on my lap or near me until some sound or noise beckons, and she's off to investigate.

The cable installer came today, and was extremely knowledgeable about how to connect my TiVo, add a new cable card, reset the TiVo for a new cable system, and set up my wireless router to provide Internet service for my PC and my netbook.

But there are still so many little things to do before I sleep tonight.

And tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, too.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the ideal moving experience, not that any move is stress free or easy. Seems you got the right people doing it for you and the right people helping you.

    Glad Cassie is adapting well. This is always a tough thing for the feline crowd.

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete