Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The countertop to-do list


There might be a better way to do it.

In fact, I'm sure there must be a better way. Perhaps I should set up a spreadsheet, with check boxes, on my computer.

But I've chosen to use sticky notes on the kitchen counter.

Decades ago, my friend Walter "officially" inducted me into the Virgo Tidy Corps. Virgos like us want our lives to be neat, orderly and organized. We both fit the description.

I'm getting even more organized now because the big move is just a week away. I'll be going from homeowner to apartment dweller.

And there are so many things I have to remember to do in the next week. I've gotten a lot done already, but it seems like every few hours I think of one more thing I have to do.

So I started jotting my to-do list on sticky notes and putting them in a spot that I look at a lot -- next to the Mr. Coffee machine on the countertop in the kitchen.

(I'm not sure I could get through this without coffee. Or my sticky notes.)

They change daily, sometimes twice or three times a day. I remember something I have to do, I write it down, and when it's done, the sticky note goes into the trash.

Sure, it looks amateurish.

But it works for me.

And it's very satisfying to complete a task and toss the note away.

We Virgos are like that.

But always lurking in the back of my mind is the fact that my membership in the Virgo Tidy Corps is at risk.

I'm certain that Walter would be using Excel.


4 comments:

  1. The VTC appreciates your thoroughness and your commitment to tackling the task in a logical manner. We are slightly concerned about the lack of color coordination amongst your sticky notes, but we waive our objection in view of the stress that naturally accompanies a move. We trust that, once you are settled in your new abode, future sticky note projects will exhibit a more logical order and symmetry. We look forward to the return of our slides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of how my company managed an office move (before I started with them):

    http://www.thematrixfiles.net/blog/how-scrum-made-our-office-move-great/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I reinvented the wheel all on my own, Jenny! Whatever did we do before sticky notes came along? I'm down to about five big things to take care of. Then there are all the little things. Then there are the things I'll forget until the last minute.

      The good news is that it'll all be over in one week.

      Delete
  3. The world would be a lot messier without Virgos. Lists & sticky notes are the primary tools to keeping things organized & tidy. Your membership in the VTC is not at risk. Excel would be useful, but redundant. Soldier on!

    ReplyDelete