Monday, August 26, 2013

Mangled metaphors


Even President Obama gets it wrong sometimes.

In a debate with Sen. John McCain, Obama said: "Senator McCain suggests that I'm green behind the ears."

The president's metaphor was a mashup of "wet behind the ears" and "green," meaning new to the scene.

I had to laugh out loud -- all by myself -- when I was reading the business section of this morning's paper. I was checking out a column about trademarks by an intellectual-property attorney. The writer was discussing the danger, for new businesses, of picking a name that is too similar to the name of an established company.

His advice was to hire an attorney to research any possible trademark conflicts. (Shocking, isn't it, that an attorney writing a column would suggest hiring an attorney? But I digress.)

Here's what he wrote: "As with horseshoes and hand grenades, too close can kill you in the world of trademarks."

Horseshoes? Kill? Nope, that just doesn't work right.

No comments:

Post a Comment