Thursday, August 22, 2013

Nature calls


So, I was coming back to my apartment last night after having dinner with my nephew at Carytown Burgers & Fries.

In the lobby, I held the elevator for one of our security guys. I was headed for the 9th floor. He said he was going all the way to the top. I pushed the appropriate buttons.

We rode in silence for about 10 seconds, and then I told him the story of my first visit to the building.

The rental agent, who was a delightful woman to talk to, was showing me several apartments. We entered the elevator on the ground floor, with an elderly gray-haired lady close behind. The agent greeted her by name. "Where are you going, Mabel?"

I heard Mabel answer: "I'm going up to pee."

All was quiet then until the elevator reached the 9th floor. We left, but not before saying a polite goodbye to the little old lady.

As the door closed and we walked away, I said to the agent: "I suppose when you get to be a certain age, you can be fairly relaxed about discussing your personal business."

The agent looked at me for a moment, and then burst into laughter.

When she caught her breath, she told me, "No, no. She meant she was going up to the top floor -- the penthouse floor. The elevator button is marked 'P'."

When I finished telling the story to the security guard last night, he, too, laughed out loud.

I could still hear him chortling as the elevator doors closed and I walked down the hall to my apartment.

The security guard continued his trip up to "P."

No comments:

Post a Comment