Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Where am I? (Part 9)


Take a look at the image above. Click on it to enlarge it. Do you know what it is? You’re a real Richmonder if you know this one.

If you know, click on the word comments below to give your answer.
   
Congratulations to my niece Annette, who correctly identified the image in Part 8 as a portion of the defense line around Richmond during the Civil War. The odd thing -- to me, anyway -- is that this miniature piece of history sits in a very modern parking lot. You could walk the perimeter of the site in a couple of minutes. Its very close neighbors are a tire shop and the parking lot in front of the Martin’s grocery store at 5700 Brook Road.

A parking lot might be an unusual place to encounter history. On the other hand, we preserve our history where we can. Wanting to know more about our past in Richmond is what also leads me to favor archaeological research in Shockoe Bottom. I can only imagine the wealth of information that lies just below the surface there.

(If you’re coming in during the middle of this exercise on how well you know Richmond, you can start from the beginning by clicking here.)

3 comments:

  1. I know, I know! There's a train and hundreds of bodies buried in that tunnel. OK, maybe two bodies. It's in Church Hill, 18th Street I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm thinking Walter's got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Walter got it ... and very quickly, too. I shot the photo today. Where I was standing is about as close as you can get now. It's fenced off.

      Delete