Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Where are we? (Part 2)


Congratulations go to Jenny for correctly identifying St. John’s Episcopal Church despite all of the scaffolding in yesterday’s photo. Walter followed close behind with the same correct answer.

St. John’s is Richmond’s oldest church, founded in 1741. In a speech Patrick Henry made to the Virginia Convention in 1775, he encouraged rebellion against King George III by proclaiming “Give me liberty or give me death!”

(I delivered Patrick Henry’s “liberty or death” speech as a 13-year-old -- complete with period costume -- center stage at what was then known as The Mosque. It was a citywide schools program, if I recall correctly. I forget what occasioned the production. My parents were inordinately proud of the fact that I got it right, with no stumbles. Lord knows I must have driven the family crazy with my declaiming in the weeks leading up to the performance.)

Today’s image (above) is one that disguises its subject by showing merely a portion of it.

Who’ll be the first to identify this Richmond landmark?


3 comments:

  1. This is fun!

    http://urhistory.richmond.edu/architecture/boatwright.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny is right again! It's the Boatwright Library at the University of Richmond, from which I graduated. I had thought that Jenny's dad or mom, also UR grads, would get this one first. But Jenny shines again!

    -dd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course I would have recognized it immediately, just as would anyone who attended UR. But, I have to admit that Jenny is pretty bright. -Mike

    ReplyDelete