Friday, April 24, 2015

Where are we? (Part 4)


In Parts 1, 2 and 3 of this Cogito series about Richmond places and things, you readers have been really knowledgeable about the city.

So let’s make it a little harder this time.
   
Look at the picture of the Roman wearing a toga in the picture above.

Who is she?

Yes, she actually has a name. Don’t ask me how I know this bit of trivia. But I do.

If you, too, know (remember that Google can be your friend if you use the right search words), click on the word comments below and let me know.

(If you’re coming in during the middle of this exercise on how well you know Richmond, you can start from the beginning by clicking here.)

Going back to yesterday’s image and question, my nephew Mike got it right -- both times. The Bill’s Barbecue that had stood on that now-empty lot for decades is gone. The company shut down its operations in 2012. And Mike was right when he said the restaurant was called Virginia Barbecue before it became a Bill’s Barbecue.

I should point out that Mike and his wife spent some time in their kitchen creating their own version of Bill’s famous sauce. They worked backwards from the ingredients on the label of a bottle of the real thing. The label didn’t list proportions. But after much experimenting, Mike and Becky came up with a version so good that I can’t tell it from my memories of the real thing. They shared bottles of it with the family. I still have half a bottle in my fridge. I’m using it sparingly to make it last.

Thank you, Mike and Becky.

1 comment:

  1. My niece Terry came up with the correct name for the figure standing atop the Jefferson Davis Monument on Monument Avenue. Early this morning she sent me an email: She's “Vindicatrix”, standing high on the monument’s centered sixty-foot tall Doric column. At her base reads the inscription, Deo Vindice (“by God, the protector") which was also noted on the Confederacy seal, leading citizens to nickname the statue “Miss Confederacy”.
    YES!

    So Terry wins. Congratulations!

    -dd

    ReplyDelete