Thursday, April 30, 2015

Where am I? (Part 10)


The test of your knowledge of Richmond continues, and this time, I suspect, it won’t be so easy.

Or maybe it will. So far, somebody always gets the right answer -- and quickly.

Check out the architectural design element in the image above. Do you know what building it adorns? You might, if you’re particularly observant.

If you know, click on the word comments below to give your answer.

Walter, my oldest friend, and Mike, my nephew, came up with the correct answer just minutes after I posted yesterday’s image in Part 9. Walter beat Mike to the punch by a hair’s breadth. The image shows the western entrance to the tunnel under Church Hill that collapsed in 1925, killing a handful of laborers and burying a work train and its locomotive.

The story has a personal connection for me, as many of you who read this blog know already. You can refresh your memories by clicking here.)

(If you’re coming in during the middle of this exercise on how well you know Richmond, you can start from the beginning by clicking here.)

14 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that's the Richmond Mosque, or whatever the hell people say we're supposed to call it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. That's a good guess, but it's not the right guess.
      And I still call it the Mosque out of habit, but it's now the Altria Theatrer.

      Delete
    2. That should be Altria Theater, not Theatrer. Nor Theatre. I checked. Sorry for the typo. Clearly, my subconscious was trying to have it both ways.

      Delete
  2. p.s. Why are we no longer with you? It started out as "Where are we?" Now it's "Where am I" Why'd we get kicked off the bus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the journalist in me. I thought to myself, "Why am I saying 'where are we?' when it's actually me who's there taking the photo."
      So I arbitrarily changed it.
      I thought nobody would notice except me. But you have the eye of an eagle.

      Delete
  3. I suppose you meant "when it's actually I."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you finally stump us? I can't find it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stumped you for almost 24 hours, which surprises me. But stay tuned ...

      Delete
  5. Mon guessed the ex va garden center on Hermitage Rd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Millie guessed wrong on this one. I know the building she's talking about, but that's not where you'll find this decorative element. This image is turning out to be tougher for y'all to identify than I expected. But all will be revealed ... soon.

      Delete
  6. Albert H. Hill Jr. High School has detail like that shown so I'll just take a stab at it and say A. H. Hill School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo! It's the decorative plaque to the right of the main entrance to the school. Mike, you've got a good eye!

      Delete
  7. Shoot! I was thinking Albert Hill, but couldn't find any photos online of the plaque so assumed I was wrong...I guess google doesn't really know everything after all!

    ReplyDelete